Momentum picked up for the new club's creation. Douthit proposed building Westward Ho Country Club at the present site including a club house, executive golf course and swimming pool. In 1959 the membership drive brought in 500 new members. Back then the annual dues were $120.
With the ball rolling, the club officially opened in 1960. Douthit designed the first club house, which opened in the summer of that year. The promise of indoor tennis followed.
While the expansion to the 18-hole course would come later — upon Douthit's retirement and the club's incorporation as member-owned — the foundation had been laid.
The club has always been about the people who inhabit it. Families. Friendships. Fraternity. Golf rounds, card games, a friendly wager here and there. Banquets, benefits, fireworks on the Fourth of July.
Before all that, though, was a simple vision.
In 2015, we rebranded with a name change and a new clubhouse, Westward Ho Country Club becomes The Country Club of Sioux Falls.
The Country Club of Sioux Falls partnered with world renowned architect Jim Lipe to redesign the Championship Course in the fall of 2017. The scope of the project included rebuilding our bunkers, recontouring the greens, reshaping existing and adding tees, and regrassing the fairways with new hybrid low mow bluegrass. Jim did a great job modernizing our parkland setting while maintaining the integrity of the original design.